This is the real deal waffle. Served on the streets of Brussels & often paired with frites (fries), this waffle is unbelievable without toppings, but add creme fraiche, whipped cream, ice cream, fruit, chocolate, speculoos cookie butter, hazelnut cream, literally anything and you will be on cloud 9. This is such a great party food. Each waffle only takes 1 minute to cook and have a waffle bar with a bunch of different toppings and your guests will love you.
1/3 cup hot milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 vanilla bean or 2 tsp. vanilla extract
2 cups bread flour
2 1/4 tsp. (or 1 packet) instant yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup Belgian pearl sugar (buy here)
1. In a medium bowl, heat the milk until it's hot enough to melt the butter. Stir the butter into the milk until melted.
2. Add the eggs, whisking lightly. Split vanilla bean down the middle, scrape out the seeds. Stir into milk and set aside.
3. In a large bowl or standing mixer w/ hook attached, combine the flour, yeast, and salt. Turn the mixer on low and slowly add the milk mixture. Increase speed to medium & beat the dough until it barely sticks to the bowl, this will take about 7 or 8 minutes.
4. Lightly oil a bowl. Place dough in the bowl. Cover and allow to rise until double (1 hour).
5. Once doubled, turn on the waffle iron. Knead the pearl sugar into the dough. Set aside to rest while the iron heats up.
6. Divide the dough into 4 oz. pieces. One piece at a time, spread the waffle dough into the hot iron. Cook until golden brown (my iron was 1 min 15 seconds on setting "3"). Let sit for about 1 minute before serving - the pearl sugar gets really hot.
7. Serve warm, plain, with syrup, with ice cream, with fruit and whipped cream, with chocolate, seriously any way you can imagine.
xo The Rosy Road